The Natural Leadership of Don Bosco
As Salesians we are very fortunate to have Don Bosco as our model and guide. Not only was he a natural leader but he was able to articulate it in writing for his followers. He called it the Preventive System.
He based it on the gentleness of St Francis de Sales who said ‘that you catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a barrel of vinegar’.
Don Bosco based his system on three pillars.
- Listen: to hear what the other person is saying before trying to offer a solution; to listen at a deeper level than the words that are spoken; to listen to the emotions and hurts that the tone gives.
- Act effectively, in awareness and without bias.
- Motivate people to their highest levels by offering opportunities not obligations.
- “Not only must you love the young but they must know that they are loved” he said.
- Treat young people with the utmost respect.
- Earn their confidence and be a steady guiding presence among them.
- Provide what is nowadays called a “safe and secure environment” for youth, one in which they feel “at home”.
- Mentor youth by an example of integrity and “the kindly word in the ear”.
This form of leadership enables others to grow in a safe and loving environment. We all thrive on being accepted and loved as we are . It is so much better to do things out of love than out of fear.
SIYP Cape Town Senior Leadership Team:
- Fr. Patrick Naughton SBD, CEO
- Ms. Denise Orgill, Chief Operating Officer
- Ms Allison Appleton, Donor Liaison
- Madeleine Thornhill – Principal
- Agnes Pass – Co ordinator
- Mbuyi Jonqgo – Project Officer
SIYP Board of Directors:
- Ms. Lynn Stevens, Chairperson (Executive Brand, Marketing & Communications*)
- Mr. Hugh Fynn, Vice Chairman (Retired School Principal and member of Independent School Board*)
- Fr. Patrick Naughton, SDB, CEO (SIYP CEO*)
- Mr. Barry Jordan, Member (Engineer*)
- Fr. Jeffery Johnson SBD, Member (Rector*)
- Fr. Kizito Kugah, Member (Parish Priest – Malmesbury*)
- Mr. Sydney Duval, Member (Journalist)
- Mr. John Doige (Business Owner)
*denotes professional career